We should read music in the same way that an educated adult will read a book: in silence, but imagining the sound.
Let us take our children seriously! Everything else follows from this… only the best is good enough for a child.
To teach a child an instrument without first giving him preparatory training and without developing singing, reading and dictating to the highest level along with the playing is to build upon sand.
Real art is one of the most powerful forces in the rise of mankind, and he who renders it accessible to as many people as possible is a benefactor of humanity.
Singing connected with movements and action is a much more ancient, and, at the same time, more complex phenomenon than is a simple song.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Arthur Rubinstein American Pianist
- Igor Stravinsky Russian-born American Composer
- Jean Sibelius Finnish Composer
- John Cage American Composer
- Claude Debussy French Composer
- Leonard Bernstein American Composer, Conductor
- Sergei Rachmaninoff Russian Musician
- Vladimir Horowitz Russian-born American Pianist
- Bela Bartok Hungarian Composer, Ethnomusicologist
- Frank Zappa American Rock Guitarist, Singer, Composer