It is a seldom proferred argument as to the advantages of a free press that it has a major function in keeping the government itself informed as to what the government is doing.
Not only do we have a right to know, we have a duty to know what our Government is doing in our name. If there’s a criticism to be made today, it’s that the press isn’t doing enough to put the pressure on the government to provide information.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Diane Sawyer American Journalist
- Charles Kuralt American Journalist
- Hugh Downs American TV Personality
- Lowell Thomas American Writer
- Edward R. Murrow American Journalist
- Julia Child American Cook, Author
- Johnny Carson American Comedian
- Sandra Day O’Connor American Jurist
- Jeff Bezos American Businessman
- Deborah Norville American Children’s Books Writer