Among the instrumentalities of love and peace, surely there can be no sweeter, softer, more effective voice than that of gentle peace-breathing music.
All that I have accomplished, or expect or hope to accomplish, has been, and will be by that plodding, patient, persevering process of accretion which builds the ant-heap particle by particle, thought by thought, fact by fact. If I was ever actuated by ambition its highest and warmest aspiration reached no further than the hope to set before the young men of any country an example in employing those invaluable fragments of time called odd moments.
Topics: Patience, One Step at a Time
Forming characters! Whose? Our own, or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. Who is sufficient for the thought?
Be ever gentle with the children God has given you.—Watch over them constantly; reprove them earnestly, but not in anger.—In the forcible language of Scripture, “Be not bitter against tnem.”—“Yes—they are good boys,” said a kind father. “I talk to them much, but I do not beat my children: the world will beat them.”—It was a beautiful thought, though not elegantly expressed.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- Enoch Powell British Politician
- Jeannette Rankin American Politician
- Helen Keller American Author
- Herbert Hoover American Statesman
- Gavin Lyall English Spy Fiction Writer
- George Holyoake English Social Reformer
- Edgar Guest English-born American Poet
- Hilaire Belloc British Writer, Poet
- Kenneth Tynan English Theatre Critic, Writer