Once we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our mind, our duty is to furnish it well.
The point of living, and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come.
In my day, there were things that were done, and things that were not done, and there was even a way of doing things that were not done.
It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.
I do not believe that friends are necessarily the people you like best; they are merely the people who got there first.
Topics: Friends and Friendship
The stupidity of a stupid man is mercifully intimate and reticient, while the stupidity of an intellectual is cried from the rooftops.
If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can’t be done.
Laughter would be bereaved if snobbery died.
Intelligent or not, we all make mistakes and perhaps the intelligent mistakes are the worst, because so much careful thought has gone into them
I am an optimist, unrepentant and militant. After all, in order not to be a fool an optimist must know how sad a place the world can be. It is only the pessimist who finds this out anew every day.
To refuse awards is another way of accepting them with more noise than is normal.
Critics search for ages for the wrong word, which, to give them credit, they eventually find.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer
- Richard Eyre British Director
- John Gielgud British Actor, Director
- Douglas Adams British Author
- Bryan Forbes English Actor, Film Director
- Ben Elton English Comedian, Writer
- Tim Robbins American Actor, Director
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Dennis Potter English Dramatist
- Roger Moore English Actor