It isn’t until you begin to fight in your own cause that you (a) become really committed to winning, and (b) become a genuine ally of other people struggling for their freedom.
Your life is the one place you have to spend yourself fully—wild, generous, drastic—in an unrationed profligacy of self … And in that split second when you understand that you finally are about to die-to uncreate the world no time to do it over no more chances—that instant when you realize your conscious existence is truly flaring nova, won’t you want to have used up all-all-the splendor that you are?
There’s something contagious about demanding freedom.
Only she who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible.
Although every organized patriarchal religion works overtime to contribute its own brand of misogyny to the myth of woman-hate, woman-fear, and woman-evil, the Roman Catholic Church also carries the immense power of very directly affecting women’s lives everywhere by its stand against birth control and abortion, and by its use of skillful and wealthy lobbies to prevent legislative change. It is an obscenity—an all-male hierarchy, celibate or not, that presumes to rule on the lives and bodies of millions of women.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Midge Decter American Journalist
- Sheryl Sandberg American Executive, Author
- Norman Podhoretz American Political Activist
- Elizabeth Taylor American Actress
- Gertrude Stein American Writer
- Marianne Williamson American Activist
- Ralph Nader American Activist
- E. L. Doctorow American Writer
- Erica Jong American Novelist, Poet
- Ben Stein American Lawyer