No… the real American has not yet arrived. He is only in the Crucible, I tell you—he will be the fusion of all races, perhaps the coming superman.
The Past: Our cradle, not our prison; there s danger as well as appeal in its glamour. The past is for inspiration, not imitation, for continuation, not repetition.
Topics: Reflection, Past, Inspiration
Every dogma has its day, but ideals are eternal.
Oh, for the simple life,/For tents and starry skies!
Everything changes but change.
How full and rich a world
Theirs to inhabit is—
Sweet scent of grass and bloom,
Playmates’ glad symphony,
Cool touch of western wind,
Sunshine’s divine caress.
How should they know or feel
They are in darkness?
But, oh, the miracle!
If a Redeemer came,
Laid finger on their eyes—
One touch and what a world,
New-born in loveliness!
America is God’s Crucible, the great Melting-Pot where all the races of Europe are melting and re-forming!
The way Bernard Shaw believes in himself is very refreshing in these atheistic days when so many believe in no God at all.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Evelyn Waugh British Novelist, Satirist
- Arnold Bennett British Novelist
- Gladys Bronwyn Stern British Novelist
- Dodie Smith British Novelist
- Mary Elizabeth Braddon English Novelist
- Doris Lessing British Novelist, Poet
- Graham Greene British Novelist
- Agatha Christie British Novelist
- Dorothy L. Sayers English Novelist, Playwright
- H. G. Wells English Novelist, Historian