All of us who served in one war or another know very well that all wars are the glory and the agony of the young.
We have come tardily to the tremendous task of cleaning up our environment. We should have moved with similar zeal at least a decade ago. But no purpose is served by post-mortems. With visionary zeal but the greatest realism, we must now address ourselves to the vast problems that confront us.
I do believe that the buck stops here, that I cannot rely upon public opinion polls to tell me what is right. I do believe that right makes might and that if I am wrong, 10 angels swearing I was right would make no difference. I do believe, with all my heart and mind and spirit, that I, not as President but as a humble servant of God, will receive justice without mercy if I fail to show mercy.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Herbert Hoover American Statesman
- Ronald Reagan American Head of State
- Harry S. Truman American Head of State
- Theodore Roosevelt American Head of State
- Richard Nixon American Head of State
- Calvin Coolidge American Head of State
- Lyndon B. Johnson American Head of State
- Jimmy Carter American Head of State
- Bill Clinton American Head of State
- George H. W. Bush American Head of State