Our masks, always in peril of smearing or cracking, in need of continuous check in the mirror or silverware, keep us in thrall to ourselves, concerned with our surfaces.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Critic
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Mark Strand American Poet, Essayist
- Grace Paley American Author
- Maya Angelou American Poet
- Clarissa Pinkola Estes American Poet
- Audre Lorde American Poet, Feminist
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman American Feminist, Writer
- Lucille Clifton American Poet