Man tends to treat all his opinions as principles.
Snobs talk as if they had begotten their own ancestors.
Civilization rests on a set of promises; if the promises are broken too often, the civilization dies, no matter how rich it may be, or how mechanically clever. Hope and faith depend on the promises; if hope and faith go, everything goes.
The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George F. Kennan American Diplomat, Historian
- Van Wyck Brooks American Literary Critic
- Daniel J. Boorstin American Historian
- James Truslow Adams American Historian
- Carl Sandburg American Poet, Historian
- Emile Capouya American Essayist, Critic, Publisher
- Joseph Wood Krutch American Writer
- Steven Weinberg American Physicist
- George Will American Columnist
- Lowell Thomas American Writer