That the poor are invisible is one of the most important things about them. They are not simply neglected and forgotten as in the old rhetoric of reform; what is much worse, they are not seen.
Topics: Wealth, Poverty
Our affluent society contains those of talent and insight who are driven to prefer poverty, to choose it, rather than submit to the desolation of an empty abundance.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Eugene V. Debs American Socialist
- Carl Sandburg American Poet, Historian
- Elie Wiesel Romanian-born American Writer
- E. L. Doctorow American Writer
- Glenn Beck American Mormon Children’s Books Writer
- Maxim Gorky Russian Writer
- Isaac Asimov American Novelist, Critic, Popular Scientist
- J. K. Rowling English Novelist
- Elbert Hubbard American Writer
- Theodor Seuss Geisel (‘Dr. Seuss’) American Children’s Books Writer