Our affluent society contains those of talent and insight who are driven to prefer poverty, to choose it, rather than submit to the desolation of an empty abundance.
That the poor are invisible is one of the most important things about them. They are not simply neglected and forgotten as in the old rhetoric of reform; what is much worse, they are not seen.
Topics: Wealth, The Poor, Poverty
It takes a certain level of aspiration before one can take advantage of opportunities that are clearly offered.
If there is technological advance without social advance, there is, almost automatically, an increase in human misery, in impoverishment.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Eugene V. Debs American Socialist
- Carl Sandburg American Poet, Historian
- Elie Wiesel Romanian-born American Writer
- E. L. Doctorow American Writer
- Glenn Beck American Mormon Children’s Books Writer
- Maxim Gorky Russian Writer
- Isaac Asimov American Novelist, Critic, Popular Scientist
- J. K. Rowling English Novelist
- Ernest Holmes American New Thought Writer
- Russell Hoban American Author