The return we reap from generous actions is not always evident.
To relinquish a present good through apprehension of a future evil is in most instances unwise … from a fear which may afterwards turn out groundless, you lost the good that lay within your grasp.
Topics: Anxiety, The Future, Fear, Tomorrow
As it is our nature to be more moved by hope than fear, the example of one we see abundantly rewarded cheers and encourages us far more than the sight of many who have not been well treated disquiets us.
Topics: Feminism, Role models
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Dante Alighieri Italian Poet, Philosopher
- Petrarch Italian Scholar
- Giuseppe Mazzini Italian Revolutionary
- Plutarch Greek Biographer
- James Anthony Froude British Historian
- Will Durant American Historian
- Edward Gibbon English Historian
- James Truslow Adams American Historian
- Jacques Barzun French-born American Historian
- David McCullough American Historian