Destiny is always dark.
Great business turns on a little pin.
Dare to be true; nothing can need a lie; a fault which needs it most grows two thereby.
Take all that is given whether wealth, love or language, nothing comes by mistake and with good digestion all can be turned to health.
He that lives in hope danceth without musick.
A snow year, a rich year.
The ignorant hath an eagle’s wings and an owl’s eyes.
He that respects not is not respected.
Lie not, neither to thyself, nor man, nor God.—It is for cowards to lie.
Pursue not a victory too far. He hath conquered well that hath made his enemy fly; thou mayest beat him to a desperate resistance, which may ruin thee.
When a friend asks, there is no tomorrow.
A man of great memory without learning hath a rock and a spindle and no staff to spin.
Play not for gain, but sport; who plays for more than he can lose with pleasure stakes his heart.
Gluttony kills more than the sword.
The love of learning and the love of money rarely meet.
Be not too presumptuously sure in any business; for things of this world depend on such a train of unseen chances that if it were in man’s hands to set the tables, still he would not be certain to win the game.
The life of spies is to know, not to be known.
Sum up at night what thou hast done by day, and in the morning what thou hast to do.—Dress and undress thy soul; mark the decay and growth of it.—If with thy watch, that too be down, then wind up both; since we shall be most surely judged, make thine accounts agree.
Topics: Self-Knowledge, Reflection
One sword keeps another in the sheath.
No sooner is a temple built to God, but the devil builds a chapel hard by.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- William Cowper English Anglican Poet
- Frances Ridley Havergal English Anglican Poet
- Richard Chenevix Trench Irish Archbishop, Poet
- Richard Burton Welsh Actor
- Richard Hooker English Theologian, Political Theorist
- Benjamin Whichcote British Anglican Priest
- Laurence Sterne Irish Anglican Novelist
- William Ralph Inge English Anglican Clergyman
- Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) British Anglican Author
- Sydney Smith English Preacher