There is no vice or folly that requires so much nicety and skill to manage as vanity; nor any which by ill management makes so contemptible a figure.
No wise man ever wished to be younger.
It is in men as in soils where sometimes there is a vein of gold which the owner knows not of.
The best doctors in the world are Doctor Diet, Doctor Quiet, and Doctor Merryman.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
Promises and Pye-Crusts, are made to be broken.
There’s none so blind as they that won’t see.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Oscar Wilde Irish Poet, Playwright
- Sheridan Le Fanu Irish Novelist
- Laurence Sterne Irish Anglican Novelist
- Thomas Love Peacock English Satirist
- Oliver Goldsmith Anglo-Irish Novelist, Poet
- James Joyce Irish Novelist
- Edmund Burke British Philosopher, Statesman
- Elizabeth Bowen Irish Novelist
- William Butler Yeats Irish Poet
- George William Russell Irish Author