The chains which cramp us most are those which weigh on us least.
Resignation is putting God between ourselves and our troubles.
How easy to be amiable in the midst of happiness and success.
The best of lessons, for a good many people, would be, to listen at a key hole.—It is a pity for such that the practice is dishonorable.
If it were ever allowable to forget what is due to superiority of rank, it would be when the privileged themselves remembered it.
It is the enemy who keeps the sentinel watchful.
Our vanity is the constant enemy of our dignity.
I study much, and the more I study the oftener I go back to those first principles which are so simple that childhood itself can lisp them.
Providence has hidden a charm in difficult undertakings, which is appreciated only by those who dare to grapple with them.
Might we not say to the confused voices which sometimes arise from the depths of our being: “Ladies, be so kind as to speak only four at a time?”
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Nikolai Berdyaev Russian Christian Philosopher
- Anna Pavlova Russian Dancer
- Constantin Stanislavski Russian Actor
- Thomas Browne English Author, Physician
- Swami Vivekananda Indian Hindu Monk, Mystic
- Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi Persian Muslim Mystic
- Ramana Maharshi Indian Hindu Mystic
- Paramahansa Yogananda Indian Hindu Mystic
- Pir Vilayat Inayat Khan British Sufi Mystic
- Aleister Crowley English Occultist