Where all is but dream, reasoning and arguments are of no use, truth and knowledge nothing.
Curiosity in children is but an appetite for knowledge. One great reason why children abandon themselves wholly to silly pursuits and trifle away their time insipidly is, because they find their curiosity balked, and their inquiries neglected.
I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits.
Topics: Questions, Learning
The dread of evil is a much more forcible principle of human actions than the prospect of good.
The great question which, in all ages, has disturbed mankind, and brought on them the greatest part of those mischiefs, which have ruined cities, depopulated countries, and disordered the peace of the world, has been, not whether there be power in the world, not whence it came, but who should have it.
Curiosity in children, is but an appetite for knowledge.
Folly consists in drawing of false conclusions from just principles, by which it is distinguished from madness, which draws just conclusions from false principles.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Immanuel Kant Prussian German Philosopher
- Francis Bacon English Philosopher
- David Hume Scottish Philosopher, Historian
- John Stuart Mill English Philosopher, Economist
- Aristotle Ancient Greek Philosopher
- Bertrand A. Russell British Philosopher, Mathematician
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz German Philosopher, Mathematician
- Roger Bacon English Philosopher
- William of Ockham English Philosopher, Polemicist
- Henry St John, 1st Viscount Bolingbroke English Politician