Being human signifies, for each one of us, belonging to a class, a society, a country, a continent and a civilization; and for us European earth-dwellers, the adventure played out in the heart of the New World signifies in the first place that it was not our world and that we bear responsibility for the crime of its destruction.
Enthusiastic partisans of the idea of progress are in danger of failing to recognize… the immense riches accumulated by the human race. By underrating the achievements of the past, they devalue all those which still remain to be accomplished.
The wise man doesn’t give the right answers, he poses the right questions.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Louis Pasteur French Biologist
- Henri Poincare French Mathematician
- Michel Foucault French Philosopher
- Jean Baudrillard French Sociologist, Philosopher
- Roland Barthes French Literary Theorist
- Hannah Arendt German-American Political Theorist
- Jean Guitton French Catholic Philosopher
- Simone Weil French Philosopher, Political Activist
- Daniel Kahneman American-Israeli Psychologist, Economist
- Henri Bergson French Philosopher