From religion comes a man’s purpose; from science, his power to achieve it. Sometimes people ask if religion and science are not opposed to one another. They are: in the sense that the thumb and fingers of my hand are opposed to one another. It is an opposition by means of which anything can be grasped.
—William Lawrence Bragg
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Michael Faraday British Physicist, Chemist
- Arthur Eddington English Astronomer
- Isaac Newton English Physicist
- Paul Dirac English Theoretical Physicist
- Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar Indian-American Astrophysicist
- Edward Victor Appleton English Physicist
- G. H. Hardy English Mathematician
- Robert Andrews Millikan American Physicist
- Max Planck German Theoretical Physicist
- Freeman Dyson American Physicist, Author