No one travelling on a business trip would be missed if he failed to arrive.
The basis on which good repute in any highly organized industrial community ultimately rests is pecuniary strength; and the means of showing pecuniary strength, and so of gaining or retaining a good name, are leisure and a conspicuous consumption of goods
Topics: Leisure, Rest
Born in iniquity and conceived in sin, the spirit of nationalism has never ceased to bend human institutions to the service of dissension and distress.
Labor wants also pride and joy in doing good work, a sense of making or doing something beautiful or useful – to be treated with dignity and respect as brother and sister
In order to stand well in the eyes of the community, it is necessary to come up to a certain, somewhat indefinite, conventional standard of wealth.
It is always sound business to take any obtainable net gain, at any cost and at any risk to the rest of the community.
The addiction to sports, therefore, in a peculiar degree marks an arrested development in man’s moral nature
Invention is the mother of necessity.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jane Addams American Social Reformer
- Hannah Arendt German-American Political Theorist
- Wilhelm Reich Austrian Psychoanalyst
- Robert J. Havighurst American Researcher
- Thornton Wilder American Novelist, Dramatist
- John Dewey American Philosopher
- Edward Teller American Nuclear Physicist
- Milton Friedman American Economist
- Robert Anton Wilson American Polymath
- Arthur Rubinstein American Pianist