Five great enemies to peace inhabit with us: vice, avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride. If those enemies were to be banished, we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace.
Love is the crowning grace of humanity, the holiest right of the soul, the golden link which binds us to duty and truth, the redeeming principle that chiefly reconciles the heart of life, and is prophetic of eternal good.
Sameness is the mother of disgust, variety the cure.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Bonaventure Italian Christian Scholar
- Dante Alighieri Italian Poet, Philosopher
- Pietro Aretino Italian Author
- Leon Battista Alberti Italian Architect
- Leonardo da Vinci Italian Polymath
- Antonio Porchia Italian Poet
- Metastasio Italian Poet
- Giacomo Leopardi Italian Poet
- Francesco Guicciardini Italian Historian
- A. E. Housman English Scholar, Poet