To be able to say how much you love is to love but little.
Where you are is of no moment, but only what you are doing there. It is not the place that ennobles you, but you the place; and this only by doing that which is great and noble.
Five great enemies to peace inhabit with us: vice, avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride. If those enemies were to be banished, we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace.
Sameness is the mother of disgust, variety the cure.
Love is the crowning grace of humanity, the holiest right of the soul, the golden link which binds us to duty and truth, the redeeming principle that chiefly reconciles the heart of life, and is prophetic of eternal good.
The end of doubt is the beginning of repose.
All pleasure in the world is a passing dream.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Bonaventure Italian Christian Scholar
- Dante Alighieri Italian Poet, Philosopher
- Pietro Aretino Italian Author
- Leon Battista Alberti Italian Architect
- Leonardo da Vinci Italian Polymath
- Giacomo Leopardi Italian Poet
- Metastasio Italian Poet
- Antonio Porchia Italian Poet
- Francesco Guicciardini Italian Historian
- A. E. Housman English Scholar, Poet