Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
If it’s intuitive, it’s probably wrong. The absolutely distinguishing quality of a leader is that a leader takes us elsewhere.
We measure the effectiveness of the true leader not in terms of the leadership he exercises but in terms of the leadership he evokes; not in terms of his power over others, but in terms of the power he releases in others; not in terms of the goals he sets and the direction he gives but in terms of the plans of action others work out for themselves with his help; not in terms of decisions made, events completed, and the inevitable success and growth that follow from such released energy, but in terms of growth in competence, sense of responsibility, and in personal satisfaction among many participants. Under this kind of leadership it may not always be clear at any given moment who is leading. Nor is this important. What is important is that others are learning to lead well.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Mingus American Jazz Bassist, Composer
- Helen Gurley Brown American Publisher
- Bill Gates American Businessperson
- Steve Jobs American Entrepreneur
- Betty White American Comedian
- William Zinsser American Writer, Editor
- Lane Kirkland American Labor Leader
- Swami Krishnananda Indian Hindu Philosopher
- Kingsley Amis English Novelist, Poet
- Grace Paley American Author