When I am finishing a picture I hold some God-made object up to it—a rock, a flower, the branch of a tree or my hand—as a kind of final test. If the painting stands up beside a thing man cannot make, the painting is authentic. If there’s a clash between the two, it is bad art.
All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites.
The fingers must be educated, the thumb is born knowing.
I adore the theater and I am a painter. I think the two are made for a marriage of love. I will give all my soul to prove this once more.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Georgia O’Keeffe American Painter
- Pablo Picasso Spanish Painter
- Claude Levi-Strauss French Anthropologist
- Salvador Dali Spanish Painter
- Coco Chanel French Fashion Designer
- Marcel Proust French Novelist
- Romain Gary French Diplomat
- Henri Bergson French Philosopher
- Andre Maurois French Novelist, Biographer
- Simone Weil French Philosopher, Political Activist