The joys we expect are not so bright, nor the troubles so dark as we fancy they will be.
The absent are like children, helpless to defend themselves.
If you wish to please people, you must begin by understanding them.
Not a day passes over the earth but men and women of no note do great deeds, speak great words, and suffer noble sorrows. Of these obscure heroes, philosophers, and martyrs the greater part will never be known till that hour when many that were great shall be small, and the small great.
Topics: Greatness, Character, Value of a Day, Time Management
Every lie, great or small, is the brink of a precipice, the depth of which nothing but Omniscience can fathom.
The green oasis, the little grassy meadow in the wilderness, where, after the week-day’s journey, the pilgrim halts for refreshment and repose.
We go on fancying that each person is thinking of us, but they are not; they are like the rest of us—they are thinking of themselves.
A wife is essential to great longevity; she is the receptacle of half a man’s cares, and two-thirds of his ill-humor.
Toward old age both men and women hang to life by their habits.
Marriage is a medicine which acts differently on good men and good women.—She does not love him quite enough—cure,—marriage.—He loves her a little too much—cure,—marriage.
Women are self-denying and uncandid; men are self-indulgent and outspoken; and this is the key to a thousand double misunderstandings, for good women are just as stupid in misunderstanding men as good men are in misunderstanding women.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Wilkie Collins English Novelist, Playwright
- Laurence Housman English Novelist, Dramatist
- Thomas Hardy English Novelist, Poet
- George Meredith British Novelist, Poet
- John Galsworthy English Novelist, Playwright
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Ben Elton English Comedian, Writer
- Charles Dickens English Novelist
- William Wycherley English Dramatist
- Dennis Potter English Dramatist