We rarely quote nowadays to appeal to authority… though we quote sometimes to display our sapience and erudition. Some authors we quote against. Some we quote not at all, offering them our scrupulous avoidance, and so make them part of our “white mythology.” Other authors we constantly invoke, chanting their names in cerebral rituals of propitiation or ancestor worship.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- William Dean Howells American Writer, Critic
- Lionel Trilling American Critic
- Johnny Carson American Comedian
- Fred Shero Canadian Sportsperson
- Flannery O’Connor American Novelist
- Paul Newman American Actor, Philanthropist
- B. B. King American Blues Musician
- Emile Capouya American Essayist, Critic, Publisher
- Russell Baker American Journalist, Humorist
- Wally Phillips American Radio Personality