He who does not attempt to make peace
When small discords arise,
Is like the bee’s hive which leaks drops of honey –
Soon, the whole hive collapses.
The misery which follows pleasure
Is the pleasure which follows misery.
The pleasure and misery of mankind
Revolve like a wheel.
Because there are no phenomena which are not dependent arisings, there are no phenomena which are not void.
Of all possessions, contentedness is the best by far.
He who knoweth the precepts by heart, but faileth to practice them, Is like unto one who lighteth a lamp and then shutteth his eyes.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Shantideva Indian Buddhist Scholar
- Nagasena Buddhist Intellectual
- D. T. Suzuki Japanese Buddhist Philosopher
- Alan Watts British-American Philosopher
- Jiddu Krishnamurti Indian Philosopher
- Dada J. P. Vaswani Indian Hindu Philosopher
- Basava Indian Hindu Philosopher
- Patanjali Indian Hindu Philosopher
- The 14th Dalai Lama Tibetan Buddhist Religious Leader
- Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Indian Hindu Philosopher