We learn our virtues from the bosom friends who love us; our faults from the enemy who hates us. We cannot easily discover our real character from a friend. He is a mirror, on which the warmth of our breath impedes the clearness of the reflection.
Cheerfulness is the atmosphere under which all things thrive.
A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another’s.
Paradise is always where love dwells.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Thomas Mann German Novelist
- Hans Carossa German Novelist
- Berthold Auerbach German Novelist
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe German Poet
- Nikos Kazantzakis Greek Novelist, Statesman
- Ludwig van Beethoven German Composer
- Arthur Schopenhauer German Philosopher
- Friedrich Nietzsche German Philosopher, Scholar
- Max Planck German Theoretical Physicist
- Eckhart Tolle German Spiritual Writer