A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another’s.
Cheerfulness is the atmosphere under which all things thrive.
Paradise is always where love dwells.
We learn our virtues from the bosom friends who love us; our faults from the enemy who hates us. We cannot easily discover our real character from a friend. He is a mirror, on which the warmth of our breath impedes the clearness of the reflection.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Thomas Mann German Novelist
- Hans Carossa German Novelist
- Berthold Auerbach German Novelist
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe German Poet
- Nikos Kazantzakis Greek Novelist, Statesman
- Ludwig van Beethoven German Composer
- Arthur Schopenhauer German Philosopher
- Friedrich Nietzsche German Philosopher, Scholar
- Max Planck German Theoretical Physicist
- Eckhart Tolle German Spiritual Writer