There can be no reconciliation where there is no open warfare. There must be a battle, a brave boisterous battle, with pennants waving and cannon roaring, before there can be peaceful treaties and enthusiastic shaking of hands.
—Mary Elizabeth Braddon
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Israel Zangwill English Writer, Political Activist
- Gladys Bronwyn Stern British Novelist
- Doris Lessing British Novelist, Poet
- Beryl Bainbridge British Novelist
- P. D. James British Novelist
- Virginia Woolf English Novelist
- Agatha Christie British Novelist
- Dorothy L. Sayers English Novelist, Playwright
- H. G. Wells English Novelist, Historian
- Arnold Bennett British Novelist