Patients who can get even part of the way to acknowledging their mortality ultimately do themselves an untold favor.
We have five senses in which we glory and which we recognize and celebrate, senses that constitute the sensible world for us. But there are other senses – secret senses, sixth senses, if you will – equally vital, but unrecognized, and unlauded.
I cannot pretend I am without fear. But my predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved; I have been given much and I have given something in return.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer
- Jonathan Miller English Stage Director
- Harold Pinter British Playwright
- W. H. Auden British-born American Poet
- Alain de Botton Swiss-born British Philosopher
- Maurice Sendak American Writer, Illustrator
- Eric Bentley British-American Drama Critic
- Jacques Barzun French-born American Historian
- Hannah Arendt German-American Political Theorist
- Philip Roth American Novelist, Short-story Writer