Courage is sustained by calling up anew the vision of the goal.
Do you want to do intellectual work? Begin by creating within you a zone of silence, a habit of recollection, a will of renunciation and detachment which puts you entirely at the disposal of work; acquire that state of soul unburdened by desire and self-will which is the state of grace of the intellectual worker. Without that you will do nothing, at least nothing worth while.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Antoine Arnauld French Theologian
- Gertrude Atherton American Novelist
- Antonin Artaud French Drama Theorist
- Aldo Leopold American Conservationist
- John J. Pershing American Army Officer
- Frank Hall Crane American Actor, Director
- Francis Kelley American Catholic Clergyman
- Charles Fillmore American New Thought Mystic
- Emile de Girardin French Journalist
- Claude Levi-Strauss French Anthropologist