America has believed that in differentiation, not in uniformity, lies the path of progress. It acted on this belief; it has advanced human happiness, and it has prospered.
If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you.
Fear of serious injury alone cannot justify oppression of free speech and assembly. Men feared witches and burnt women. It is the function of speech to free men from the bondage of irrational fears.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. American Jurist, Author
- Felix Frankfurter American Judge
- Elliot Richardson American Lawyer
- John Quincy Adams American Head of State
- Archibald Cox American Lawyer
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Calvin Coolidge American Head of State
- Wendell Phillips American Abolitionist
- Henry L. Stimson American Political leader
- Joan Rivers American Entertainer