Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom s. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.
The hard necessity of bringing the judge on the bench down into the dock has been the peculiar responsibility of the writer in all ages of man.
Topics: Writers, Authors & Writing, Writing
I went out there for a thousand a week, and I worked Monday, and I got fired Wednesday. The guy that hired me was out of town Tuesday.
The Impossible Generalized Man today is the critic who believes in loving those unworthy of love as well as those worthy—yet believes this only insofar as no personal risk is entailed. Meaning he loves no one, worthy or no. This is what makes him impossible.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Philip Roth American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Saul Bellow Canadian-born American Novelist
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Kurt Vonnegut American Novelist
- Marge Piercy American Poet
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Bernard Malamud American Novelist
- William Styron American Novelist
- Ray Bradbury American Science-Fiction Writer
- Philip K. Dick American Novelist