The secret of concentration is the secret of self-discovery. You reach inside yourself to discover your personal resources, and what it takes to match them to the challenge.
What do I mean by concentration? I mean focusing totally on the business at hand and commanding your body to do exactly what you want it to do.
It is not a dreamlike state, but the somehow insulated state, that a great musician achieves in a great performance. He’s aware of where he is and what he’s doing, but his mind is on the playing of his instrument with an internal sense of rightness—it is not merely mechanical, it is not only spiritual; it is something of both, on a different plane and a more remote one.
Topics: Possibilities, Potential, Talents, Work, Abilities
I’ve always made a total effort, even when the odds seemed entirely against me. I never quit trying; I never felt that I didn’t have a chance to win.
Topics: Chance, Perseverance, Effort, Golf, Belief
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Jack Nicklaus American Sportsperson
- Tiger Woods American Sportsperson
- Ted Williams American Sportsperson
- Gary Player South African Golfer
- Muhammad Ali American Sportsperson
- Billie Jean King American Tennis Player
- Arthur Ashe American Tennis Player
- John Wooden American Sportsperson
- Bear Bryant American Sportsperson
- Michael Jordan American Sportsperson