My father used to say superior people never make long visits.
The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease.
A writer is unfair to himself when he is unable to be hard on himself.
Topics: Authors & Writing
Impatience is the mark of independence, not of bondage.
When one cannot appraise out of one’s own experience, the temptation to blunder is minimized, but even when one can, appraisal seems chiefly useful as appraisal of the appraiser.
Topics: Judgment, Judges, Judging
As contagion of sickness makes sickness, contagion of trust can make trust.
Originality is … a by-product of sincerity.
War is pillage versus resistance and if illusions of magnitude could be transmuted into ideals of magnanimity, peace might be realized.
Poetry is all nouns and verbs.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Critic
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Maya Angelou American Poet
- Stephen Vincent Benet American Poet
- Annie Dillard American Writer
- Langston Hughes American Poet, Writer
- Ezra Pound American Poet, Critic
- William Carlos Williams American Poet, Novelist, Cultural Historian
- Sara Teasdale American Poet