I am the son of two civilizations that at a certain age in history have formed a happy marriage. The first of these, seven thousand years old, is the Pharaonic civilization; the second, one thousand four hundred years old, is the Islamic civilization.
Happy is he who can give himself up.
When will the state of the country be sound?…. When its people believe that the end result of cowardice is more disastrous than that of behaving with integrity.
I have condemned Khomeini’s fatwa to kill Salman Rushdie as a breach of international relations and as an assault on Islam as we know it in the era of apostasy. I believe that the wrong done by Khomeini towards Islam and the Muslims is no less than that done by the author himself. As regards freedom of expression, I have said that it must be considered sacred and that thought can only be corrected by counter-thought. During the debate, I supported the boycott of the book as a means of maintaining social peace, granted that such a decision would not be used as a pretext to constrain thought.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Anwar el-Sadat Egyptian Head of State
- Akhenaten Egyptian Monarch
- Thomas Mann German Novelist
- Doris Lessing British Novelist, Poet
- Andre Gide French Novelist
- Saul Bellow Canadian-born American Novelist
- Anatole France French Novelist
- Toni Morrison American Novelist
- Luigi Pirandello Italian Dramatist
- John Steinbeck American Novelist