Happy is he who can give himself up.
When will the state of the country be sound?…. When its people believe that the end result of cowardice is more disastrous than that of behaving with integrity.
I have condemned Khomeini’s fatwa to kill Salman Rushdie as a breach of international relations and as an assault on Islam as we know it in the era of apostasy. I believe that the wrong done by Khomeini towards Islam and the Muslims is no less than that done by the author himself. As regards freedom of expression, I have said that it must be considered sacred and that thought can only be corrected by counter-thought. During the debate, I supported the boycott of the book as a means of maintaining social peace, granted that such a decision would not be used as a pretext to constrain thought.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Anwar el-Sadat Egyptian Head of State
- Akhenaten Egyptian Monarch
- Pearl S. Buck American Novelist
- Andre Gide French Novelist
- Anatole France French Novelist
- William Faulkner American Novelist
- Doris Lessing British Novelist, Poet
- Toni Morrison American Novelist
- Luigi Pirandello Italian Dramatist
- John Steinbeck American Novelist