Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered through personal experience does not become a part of the moral tissue.
I wonder, among all the tangles of this mortal coil, which one contains tighter knots to undo, and consequently suggests more tugging, and pain, and diversified elements of misery, than the marriage tie.
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Katherine Anne Porter American Writer
- Lloyd Alexander American Writer
- Margaret Mitchell American Novelist
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Andre Norton American Science Fiction Writer
- Isabel Allende Chilean Novelist
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Flannery O’Connor American Novelist
- Emily Post American Writer, Socialite