To believe a business impossible is the way to make it so. How many feasible projects have miscarried through despondency, and been strangled in their birth by a cowardly imagination.
Topics: Courage to Begin
Books are a guide in youth, and an entertainment for age. They support us under solitude, and keep us from becoming a burden to ourselves. They help us to forget the crossness of men and things, compose our cares and our passions, and lay our disappointments asleep. When we are weary of the living, we may repair to the dead, who have nothing of peevishness, pride, or design in their conversation.
Topics: Books, Reading
Hope is a vigorous principle; it is furnished with light and heat to advise and execute; it sets the head and heart to work, and animates a man to do his utmost. And thus, by perpetually pushing and assurance, it puts a difficulty out of countenance, and makes a seeming impossibility give way.
Topics: Hope, Difficulty, Perseverance, Persistence, Motivation
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Richard Hooker English Theologian, Political Theorist
- Beilby Porteus Bishop of London
- Sydney Smith English Preacher
- William Cowper English Anglican Poet
- William Ralph Inge English Anglican Clergyman
- John Wilkins English Anglican Clergyman
- Frances Ridley Havergal English Anglican Poet
- F. L. Lucas English Literary Critic
- William Ernest Henley English Poet
- John Ruskin English Art Critic