As I stared at the books, I suddenly understood that I didn’t know a hell of a lot about anything. What it was that seemed to move me then was that learning was important… I vowed, right then, to learn something new every day. It was a deep revelation, something I felt throughout my whole self.
The artist’s role is to raise the consciousness of the people. To make them understand life, the world and themselves more completely. That’s how I see it. Otherwise, I don’t know why you do it.
The landscape should belong to the people who see it all the time.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Langston Hughes American Poet, Writer
- Maya Angelou American Poet
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Mark Strand American Poet, Essayist
- Audre Lorde American Poet, Feminist
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- Carolyn Kizer American Poet
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Eugene O’Neill American Playwright
- Wendell Berry American Author, Environmentalist