I realized early on that the academy and the literary world alike—and I don’t think there really is a distinction between the two—are always dominated by fools, knaves, charlatans and bureaucrats. And that being the case, any human being, male or female, of whatever status, who has a voice of her or his own, is not going to be liked.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George Edward Woodberry American Literary Critic
- Diana Trilling American Literary Critic
- Bayard Taylor American Poet
- Anatole Broyard American Literary Critic
- Van Wyck Brooks American Literary Critic
- John Churton Collins English Literary Critic
- F. L. Lucas English Literary Critic
- Francis Jeffrey, Lord Jeffrey Scottish Judge, Critic
- William H. Gass American Short Story Writer
- George Jean Nathan American Drama Critic