The kind of intelligence a genius has is a different sort of intelligence. The thinking of a genius does not proceed logically. It leaps with great ellipses. It pulls knowledge from God knows where.
The only force that can overcome an idea and a faith is another and better idea and faith, positively and fearlessly upheld.
All great art … creates in the beholder not self-satisfaction but wonder and awe. Its great liberation is to lift us out of ourselves.
And only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live in every experience, painful or joyous; to live in gratitude for every moment, to live abundantly.
Topics: Courage, Fear, Living, Time
Courage … is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
Can one preach at home inequality of races and nations and advocate abroad good-will towards all men?
Inventive man has invented nothing—nothing from scratch. If he has produced a machine that in motion overcomes the law of gravity, he learned the essentials from the observation of birds.
Peace is not the absence of conflict but the presence of creative alternatives for responding to conflict—alternatives to passive or aggressive responses, alternatives to violence.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Walter Lippmann American Journalist
- H. L. Mencken American Journalist, Literary Critic
- Edward R. Murrow American Journalist
- Howard Cosell American Journalist
- Thomas Masson American Journalist
- Robert Quillen American Journalist
- Midge Decter American Journalist
- Charles Kuralt American Journalist
- Letty Cottin Pogrebin American Writer
- Brenda Ueland American Journalist Memoirist