Slowly, but very deliberately, the brooding edifice of seduction, creaking and incongruous, came into being, a vast Heath Robinson mechanism, dually controlled by them and lumbering gloomily down vistas of triteness. With a sort of heavy-fisted dexterity the mutually adapted emotions of each of them became synchronized, until the unavoidable anti-climax was at hand.
Few persons who have ever sat for a portrait can have felt anything but inferior while the process is going on.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Elizabeth Gilbert American Novelist
- Virginia Woolf English Novelist
- Evelyn Waugh British Novelist, Satirist
- Henry Fielding English Novelist
- E. M. Forster English Novelist
- Graham Greene British Novelist
- Clarence Day American Author, Humorist
- Brian Aldiss English Novelist
- D. H. Lawrence English Novelist
- Jane Austen English Novelist