Most intellectuals today have a phobia of any explanation of the mind that invokes genetics.
Neuroscience is showing that all aspects of mental life—every emotion, every thought pattern, every memory—can be tied to the physiological activity or structure of the brain. Cognitive science has shown that feats that were formerly thought to be doable by mental stuff alone can be duplicated by machines, that motives and goals can be understood in terms of feedback and cybernetic mechanisms, and that thinking can be understood as a kind of computation.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Albert Ellis American Psychologist
- Charles Sanders Peirce American Philosopher
- Daniel C. Dennett American Philosopher, Atheist
- E. O. Wilson American Sociobiologist
- Carol Dweck American Psychologist
- Sam Harris American Neuroscientist, Atheist, Author
- James D. Watson American Biologist
- Steven Weinberg American Physicist
- Daniel Kahneman American-Israeli Psychologist, Economist
- Carl Reiner American Comedian