To ask women to become unnaturally thin is to ask them to relinquish their sexuality.
Women have face-lifts in a society in which women without them appear to vanish from sight.
The beauty myth moves for men as a mirage; its power lies in its ever-receding nature. When the gap is closed, the lover embraces only his own disillusion.
Pain is real when you get other people to believe in it. If no one believes in it but you, your pain is madness or hysteria.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Sheryl Sandberg American Executive, Author
- Emma Goldman American Anarchist
- Judy Blume American Author
- Betty Friedan American Feminist, Author
- Emma Lazarus American Poet, Writer
- Susan Sontag American Writer, Philosopher
- Erica Jong American Novelist, Poet
- Robin Morgan American Activist
- Howard Zinn American Historian, Activist
- Gertrude Stein American Writer