I am now here in Congress I am at liberty to vote as my conscience and judgment dictates to be right, without the yoke of any party on me, or the driver at my heels, with his whip in hand, commanding me to ge-wo-haw, just at his pleasure.
We have rights, as individuals, to give as much of our own money as we please to charity; but as members of Congress we have no right so to appropriate a dollar of public money
Fame is like a shaved pig with a greased tail, and it is only after it has slipped through the hands of some thousands, that some fellow, by mere chance, holds on to it!
I leave this rule for others when I’m dead: Be always sure you’re right—THEN GO AHEAD!
I leave this rule for others when I’m dead: Be always sure you’re right — THEN GO AHEAD!
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Andrew Jackson American Head of State
- James K. Polk President of America
- Vincent Price American Actor
- Theodore Roosevelt American Head of State
- Andrew Johnson American Head of State
- Al Gore American Politician, Environmentalist
- Charles Mingus American Jazz Bassist, Composer
- Edward Everett American Politician
- Evander Holyfield American Boxer
- Duke Ellington American Musician