Another source of power in government is a military force. But this, to be efficient, must be superior to any force that exists among the people, or which they can command; for otherwise this force would be annihilated, on the first exercise of acts of oppression. Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealous will instantly inspire the inclination to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive…
The fourteenth of February is a day sacred to St. Valentine! It was a very odd notion, alluded to by Shakespeare, that on this day birds begin to couple; hence, perhaps, arose the custom of sending on this day letters containing professions of love and affection.
Language is not an abstract construction of the learned, or of dictionary makers, but is something arising out of the work, needs, ties, joys, affections, tastes, of long generations of humanity, and has its bases broad and low, close to the ground.
Topics: Language, Words
The moral principles and precepts contained in the Scripture ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Harriet Beecher Stowe American Abolitionist
- Noah Porter American Clergyman
- Roger Babson American Economist
- Charles G. Dawes American Diplomat, Politician
- Alfred Whitney Griswold American Historian
- Lyman Beecher American Presbyterian Clergyman
- Thomas Masson American Journalist
- Thornton Wilder American Novelist, Dramatist
- George W. Bush American Head of State
- Walt Disney American Entrepreneur