In America every woman has her set of girl-friends; some are cousins, the rest are gained at school. These form a permanent committee who sit on each other’s affairs, who “come out” together, marry and divorce together, and who end as those groups of bustling, heartless well-informed club-women who govern society. Against them the Couple of Ehepaar is helpless and Man in their eyes but a biological interlude.
Topics: Government, Women, Friends and Friendship
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Maurice Baring British Author
- Pico Iyer British-born Essayist, Novelist of Indian Origin
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist
- Kingsley Amis English Novelist, Poet
- Ian McEwan (b.1948) British Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Ford Madox Ford English Novelist, Poet, Critic
- Samuel Johnson British Essayist
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer