Typhoons are a sort of violent whirlwinds. Before these whirlwinds come on… there appears a heavy cloud to the northeast which is very black near the horizon, but toward the upper part is a dull reddish color. The tempest came with great violence, but after a while, the winds ceased all at once and a calm succeeded. This lasted… an hour, more or less, then the gales were turned around, blowing with great fury from the southwest.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- James Cook English Explorer, Cartographer
- Francis Drake English Military Leader
- Charles Darwin British Naturalist
- Walter Raleigh English Explorer, Courtier
- Ulysses S. Grant American Head of State
- Pico Iyer British-born Essayist, Novelist of Indian Origin
- George Borrow English Writer, Traveler
- Dinah Craik English Novelist, Poet
- Aldous Huxley English Humanist
- Anthony Burgess English Novelist, Critic