I am fully and intensely aware that plants are conscious of love and respond to it as they do to nothing else.
Take that Poppy seed, for instance: it lies in your palm, the merest atom of matter, hardlyvisible, a speck, a pin’s point in bulk, but within it is imprisoned a spirit of beauty ineffable, which will break its bonds and emerge from the dark ground and blossom in a splendor so dazzling as to baffle all powers of description.
There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.
One golden day redeems a weary year.
He who is born with a silver spoon in his mouth is generally considered a fortunate person, but his good fortune is small compared to that of the happy mortal who enters this world with a passion for flowers in his soul.
I wonder what spendthrift chose to spill
Such a bright gold under my windowsill!
Is it fair gold? Does it glitter still?
Bless me! It’s a daffodil!
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Thomas Bailey Aldrich American Writer
- Gertrude Stein American Writer
- Sarah Orne Jewett American Children’s Books Writer
- Hartley Coleridge English Writer
- Mary Webb English Novelist
- Alphonse de Lamartine French Poet, Politician, Historian
- Elizabeth Prentiss American Children’s Books Writer
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow American Poet
- Edna St. Vincent Millay American Poet
- Marie Chapian American Christian Writer