A great biography should, like the close of a great drama, leave behind it a feeling of serenity. We collect into a small bunch the flowers, the few flowers, which brought sweetness into a life, and present it as an offering to an accomplished destiny. It is the dying refrain of a completed song, the final verse of a finished poem.
Everything that is in agreement with our personal desires
seems true. Everything that is not puts us into a rage.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Henri de Montherlant French Essayist, Novelist, Dramatist
- Francois-Rene de Chateaubriand French Writer, Statesman
- Francois Mauriac French Novelist
- Blaise Cendrars Swiss Poet, Writer
- Hector Bianciotti French Novelist
- Jules Verne French Novelist
- Alfred de Musset French Poet, Playwright
- Charles de Gaulle French General, Statesman
- Milan Kundera Czech Novelist
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery French Novelist, Aviator