For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory mentioned, which states that this has already happened.
What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in the ground underneath a giant boulder you can’t move, with no hope of rescue. Consider how lucky you are that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn’t been good to you so far, which given your current circumstances seems more likely, consider how lucky you are that it won’t be troubling you much longer.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- John Fowles English Novelist
- George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans) English Novelist
- George Orwell English Novelist, Essayist, Journalist
- Terry Pratchett English Fantasy Writer
- Arthur C. Clarke English Science-fiction Writer
- J. B. Priestley British Novelist, Playwright, Essayist
- Stephen Fry English Actor, Writer
- Peter Ustinov British Actor, Playwright
- Salman Rushdie Indian-born British Novelist
- Philip Pullman English Children’s Author, Dramatist