Pessimism is, in brief, playing the sure game. You cannot lose at it; you may gain. It is the only view of life in which you can never be disappointed. Having reckoned what to do in the worst possible circumstances, when better arise, as they may, life becomes child’s play.
Everybody is so talented nowadays that the only people I care to honor as deserving real distinction are those who remain in obscurity.
Once victim, always victim — that’s the law.
If all hearts were open and all desires known — as they would be if people showed their souls — how many gapings, sighings, clenched fists, knotted brows, broad grins, and red eyes should we see in the market-place!
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George Meredith British Novelist, Poet
- Edward Lear English Humorist, Illustrator
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti British Poet, Artist
- Wilkie Collins (1824–89) English Novelist, Playwright, Short-story Writer
- Charles Dickens English Novelist
- Eden Phillpotts English Author, Poet, Dramatist
- J. R. R. Tolkien British Philologist, Writer
- Hanif Kureishi British Novelist, Screenwriter
- Ian McEwan (b.1948) British Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie English Novelist, Biographer