I admire people who are suited to the contemplative life. They can sit inside themselves like honey in a jar and just be. It’s wonderful to have someone like that around, you always feel you can count on them. You can go away and come back, you can change your mind and your hairdo and your politics, and when you get through doing all these upsetting things, you look around and there they are, just the way they were, just being.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Andre Norton American Science Fiction Writer
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Lilian Jackson Braun American Mystery Novelist
- Lydia Davis American Author
- Zora Neale Hurston American Novelist
- Isabel Allende Chilean Novelist
- Carol Dweck American Psychologist
- Joan Rivers American Entertainer
- Edith Wharton American Novelist, Short-story Writer
- Jodi Picoult American Novelist